Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Communication Verification

Last week I texted my tenant about some repair people who would be coming by this week. Today when I went to the house to check on the repairs, my tenant was happy they were being done, but upset that he hadn't been notified in advance. I pulled out me cell phone and went to my sent message folder to show him I had indeed communicated. Unfortunately, I sent the message his work phone number which doesn't accept texts!

How does this apply to college applications? You will be sending lots of required documentation--transcripts, recommendation letters, standardized test scores, etc. and colleges cannot read your file until they have a completed application packet. Most colleges give user a user login so you can check your application status online. If you do not check on a regular basis, you will miss out on the chance to follow through if there are any problems.

What should you do if some documentation is listed as missing? First and foremost, don't blame anyone! For example, if the colleges claims that your ACT scores were not received, you would check your account on the ACT website. If the site shows that they were indeed sent, you would call the admissions office and say something like this:

"Hi, this is (insert your full name here) and my applicant ID number is X. On Y date I checked my application status and it showed that you have not yet received my ACT scores. I checked with the ACT folks, and they do show the scores as sent to you electronically on Z date. Could you please check my file again to see if they have arrived?"

If you are told that your scores are not there, then politely ask how you should rectify the problem. Do you need to send them again? Do they want you to check back in a few more days?

Even if you feel frustrated, stay polite and express your appreciation. Demonstrate empathy for what it must be like to be the admissions assistant at a college who is sorting through thousands of pieces of mail and electronic paperwork to match up the right documents and applicant.


I feel disappointed that my tenant may think I'm a poor communicator, so I'll be diligent to confirm that he has heard/seen any future messages I send. When I am the person trying to communicate, it is my responsibility to make sure the information is received.

1 comment:

  1. Gujarat Board releases GSEB SSC Syllabus on its official website. The GSEB syllabus is created in such a way that students will not only find their academics easy but also get logically benefitted in real-life scenarios. The syllabus is frequently updated with a better curriculum so that students can score better in the examinations conducted by the Gujarat Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board. Gujarat 10th Syllabus pdf The GSEB SSC Syllabus will allow the students to comprehend the weightage allotted to different chapters and units so that they can prepare a strategy on how to prepare the chapters accordingly. The Syllabus for GSEB Class 10 also discusses the question patterns, designs and formats; and the types of questions that would be asked from the various sections used in the exam papers. It also gives a better idea of the marks distribution in the paper.

    ReplyDelete