College 3 by 5: Three Things about Five More Colleges in the Sun
It's April, as in “April showers bring......more showers.” Still dreaming about the sun? Here are five more colleges (follow-up from last month's list) that are in sun-drenched locations. Pack your flip-flops, sunglasses, and laptop. That's what you'll need for school supplies.
Chaminade University of Honolulu, Honolulu, HI www.chaminade.edu
- New four-year nursing school trains seventy-two new nursing students per year in three state-of-the art units, each with computerized, programmable mannequins that mimic the sounds and symptoms of real patients.
- Forensic Science, Criminal Justice, Early Admission to medical school, and Business are some of the most popular programs offered to undergraduates.
- By the numbers: 95% admit rate with rolling admission; Mid-range SAT* scores: CR 420-520, M420-520; ACT 18-22.
University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI www.uhm.hawaii.edu
- UH Manoa's affiliation with the Western Undergraduate Exchange sets tuition at $12,600 for Oregon students (2012-13), with non-resident scholarships for high achievers.
- UH Manoa is known for its pioneering research in such fields as oceanography, astronomy, Pacific Islands and Asian area studies, linguistics, cancer research, and genetics.
- By the numbers: 71% admit rate with May 1 deadline; Mid-range SAT: CR 480-580, M 510-610,ACT 21-25.
Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, GA www.scad.edu
- Programs in a wide variety of arts and letters include accessory, jewelry, and fashion design, architecture, art history, interactive design and game development, furniture design, film and television production, sound design, urban design, writing, and many more.
- Equestrian studies students use an 80-acre equestrian complex to learn equine-related careers in equine management, equine photography and videography, journalism, equine training and organization management.
- By the numbers: 62% admit rate, Mid-range SAT: CR 490-610, M 470-580, ACT 20-26
St. John's College, Santa Fe, New Mexico www.sjca.edu
- St. John's students take an interdisciplinary curriculum for all four years based on a Great Books program in an atmosphere of small discussion-based classes.
- One of the Colleges That Change Lives, St. John's comprises two small campuses in Santa Fe (400+ students) and Anapolis, Maryland (450+ students)
- By the numbers: 86% admit rate with rolling admission, Mid-range SAT: CR 610-740, M 570-660, ACT 25-32
Whittier College, Whittier, CA www.whittier.edu
- Located mid-way between Los Angeles and Orange County, 1,300 undergraduates learn in an atmosphere to honor the college's Quaker roots, with an “appreciation for the complexities of the modern world and workplace while never losing sight of the importance of social responsibility.”
- One of the more diverse liberal arts campuses in the US, 46% of the student body are minorities, many are first in their families to attend college.
- By the numbers: 72% admit rate with rolling admission; Mid-range SAT: CR 470-580, M 470-590, ACT 20-25.
*Mid-ranges are the 25th to 75th percentile scores of the 2010 entering freshman class. CR = Critical Reasoning, M = Math.
Sources for this article: www.collegedata.com, Fiske Guide 2012, America's Best Colleges 2012