Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Independent College Coaching Metrics


This weekend I have the joy of attending my daughter's college graduation from Olin College of Engineering. She has had an amazing four years there, it was the perfect match school for her, and she is ready for her next adventure.

A while ago the dad of a prospective students asked me what metrics I use for evaluating the success of my college coaching with a student. My answer surprised him because he expected me to say that it was the list of schools the student is admitted to. My response was the following:
  • Was the parent/child relationship preserved or enhanced throughout the application process?
  • Can your child answer with a fair amount of certainty why he is going to college and what he hopes to get out of the experience?
  • Is she truly excited about her chosen school and committed to making the most of her college experience?
  • Are his writing skills better than they were when we met?
 Of course the most important metrics are known much later:
  • Did she have a satisfying college experience, learn something of value, make friends, graduate in four years (unless otherwise planned in advance), and feel prepared for her next step in life (whether that be work, grad school or a volunteer experience like the Peace Corps)?
  • Did he mature into an adult that you would like even if he wasn't your son?
 Those are the metrics I'd like to evaluated against.

No comments:

Post a Comment