Friday, April 19, 2013

Old-Fashioned Advice: Send a Thank You Note


My mom told my children that if they didn't send her a handwritten thank you note after each present she shipped them, no more presents would be forthcoming. My kids grumbled and complained that they should be able to email or call, but the desire for presents prevailed and they developed a positive habit.

Seniors, now is the time to send handwritten thank-you cards. Who should get them? Everyone who helped you throughout your college application process:
1. Your school counselor (and independent counselor if you used one)
2. Anyone who wrote you a recommendation letter
3. Tutors and test prep providers
4. The volunteers/staff at your high school college and career center
5. Any mentors who gave their time to you
6. The admissions officer assigned to your region at every school that accepted you (including all those you chose not to attend)
7. Any relatives or friends who will be helping fund your college education
8. Any organizations that have awarded you a scholarship
9. Your parents

Here's a sample:

Dear X,

Thanks so much for your support during my college application process. I am thrilled to report that I will be attending X college in the fall.

Your willingness to X (write me a recommendation letter, help me find great fit colleges, help me improve my SAT score, read my application, offer me a spot in your freshman class, help fund my college education, etc.) is truly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Your Name

1 comment:

  1. Most of the blogs pretend themselves as most usable and updated blogs with new information but sometime truth might different. I want to share some facts related to this subject which will help people to enhance their skills.เรียน a level ที่ไหนดี

    ReplyDelete